Mulching is one of the most effective ways to protect the soil. Mulch made from leaves, sawdust, and tree bark is an environmentally friendly product, making it one of the reasons it’s very popular among gardeners. This is how nature protects its soil long before humans got involved in the process and is now widely used in Irish gardens too.
Bark mulch is one of the most preferred options in organic mulching. It is made from tree bark, which is chopped into small, medium, and large pieces. All you have to do to keep weeds at bay is spread the wood chips around trees and flowerbeds. Mulch is mostly spread around fruit trees and bushes to stop weed growth. This is to protect the trees but also has other benefits we go into further into the article.
Bark mulch has high protective and decorative qualities. That is why it’s preferred by professional and new gardeners alike. it. A plot covered with bark mulch looks attractive, as it’s clean and tidy. The brown color of the crushed tree’s bark goes well with the green of the planted plants and the vibrant flowers in the flower beds.
By the way, using natural dyes, you can change the color of the mulch without chemically harming the plants.
Mulch is made from different tree barks such as oak, birch, spruce, pine, aspen, linden, and larch. Preference is given to coniferous bark mulch. It fills the soil with the nutrients needed and additionally disinfects it. This mulch takes longer to decompose than the bark of deciduous trees, which means it will last longer.
Bark Mulch for Sale in Kildare
Are you looking for the best bark mulch? Worry no more. At Naas Firewood, we provide high-quality bark mulch for sale Kildare and other parts of Ireland. We have the best bark mulch in Kildare in our collection. Shredded to different sizes and from different types of trees, our bark mulch provides several nutrients and is easy to apply. You can easily suppress weeds and protect your plants and soil against elements with our bark mulch or wood chips around trees. We sell them at very affordable prices and also offer free delivery within parts of Kildare. Please contact if you have any questions and to buy our quality mulch please visit our Mulch products listed in our shop
Benefits of Bark Mulch
There are multiple reasons why you should opt for bark mulch. They include:
- Maintains optimal soil temperature, protecting against overheating and frost.
- Retains moisture, reduces evaporation, which means less watering.
- Controls the acidity of the soil.
- Protects plants from weeds. Annuals will never grow through a layer of mulch, and perennials, if they appear, then remove them quickly and easily.
- It activates the work of earthworms and beneficial microorganisms as the soil becomes looser and airier.
As you can see, mulching has a beneficial effect on the composition of the soil. Plants thrive and are less prone to attack by pests. This reduces, gardening and there is more time for thinking about your next project. After all, you do not have to weed, loosen the beds and water as often if at all in Ireland.
Bark mulch has its own advantages and is especially beneficial for the soil.
The bark of coniferous trees contains phytoncides – antibacterial substances, which additionally protect plants from diseases.
- After the bark’s decomposition, the soil is enriched with nutrients.
- Large parts of the bark do not scatter in windy weather.
- Slugs and snails don’t get along on this kind of mulch.
- The service life of the mulch is several years give or take.
There is one nuance in using bark mulch. Only adult plants that are strong enough will grow through bark mulch. For young and annuals, use sawdust or straw mulch. We are always ready to advise you on the right type and quality of bark mulch for your plants whenever you shop with us.
How to Use Bark Mulch in Your Garden
Mulch is recommended during the initial days of autumn, after harvest, or when useful substances are still preserved in the soil. The second stage – during spring, when the soil is warmed up, and young shoots appear on the beds. There are several rules on how to use mulch in the garden not to harm the plants.
- In spring, you might not mulch before May. The ground may not yet be warmed up enough at this time and will not allow young shoots to grow through properly if this is a new bed that won’t matter.
- A freshly harvested bark is not suitable for mulching, as the substances contained in it can stop the growth of plants. Only after drying does the bark become usable. We sell you the perfect bark mulch to use during this period as we get the bark in during the winter season so it’s ready by springtime.
- Don’t cover the trees tightly. Leave a distance of 80 cm from the trunk. And between the layer of mulch and shrubs – 50 cm. Otherwise, their root system will rot.
- Cover plants in beds that are constantly under the sun with a thick layer of mulch. This will reliably protect the soil from overheating.
- Remove germinating weeds carefully, without stirring up the laid layer of mulch.
- No need to rake mulch while watering.
- Coarse mulch is sprinkled on paths and recreation areas. Medium and small are used for flower beds, and gardens.
The Correct Mulching Technique
There are several steps to follow if you don’t know how to apply your mulch. Observing the order of actions, even a novice can protect vegetables planted in the beds, trees, and shrubs in the garden.
- In the area where you plan to lay the mulch, remove fallen leaves, branches and weeds.
- Water the dry soil a little and loosen it up.
- Apply organic fertilizers (manure, compost, bird droppings) to the soil. At a depth of 15-20 cm, the root system will receive enough nutrients.
- Add mineral fertilizers containing nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (optional probably not needed).
- The soil is now ready. Place the mulch on top of it. Do this by placing the wood chips around trees. This should be at the base. How thick the layer is to be laid depends on the density of the soil. Loose sandy soil is covered with a thick layer of up to 8 cm. Dense clay soil is 2-3 cm thick.
You should replace the tree bark used for mulching every 2-3 years.
Bark mulching is a natural and effective way to maintain water and temperature balance in the soil and protect plants from weeds. Thanks to bark mulch, your summer cottage will look well-groomed and delightful with beauty and a good harvest.
We have the best bark mulch for sale Kildare that will add value to your soil and also boost the aesthetic value of your garden or orchard. Visit our shop for high-quality bark mulch at the most affordable prices.